I found this survey on a way-old post on my friend Allison‘s blog, and decided to do it, even though I haven’t been much of a survey/quiz taker since the days of the mighty MySpace. (Do you guys ever miss MySpace? I don’t, but I do remember it fondly since it was still cool when David and I were first getting to know one another.)
1. Egg nog or hot chocolate:
I actually like egg nog. It’s even written in my baby book that I loved it when I tried it as a toddler. That being said, I prefer hot chocolate.
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
WRAPPED all the way!
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
Both of our trees are pre-lit with white lights. That being said, I like both. Although I prefer the old-timey giant colored light bulbs to the small colored light bulbs. And I only like colored lights on a tree if the tree is green. My purple tree could never have colored lights.
4. Do you hang mistletoe?
No, but I do have a hand towel in the kitchen that says “Meet Me Under the Mistletoe!”
5. When do you put your decorations up?
At some point in November. My decorations were all up before Thanksgiving this year, but that isn’t always the case.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish?
Hash brown casserole. Mmmmmmmmmmm.
7. Favorite holiday memory as a child?
Hm. I can’t think of anything that truly stands out as a favorite memory. My most vivid memory is of singing “Jingle Bells” for my PaPaw on the video camera when I was five. I remember the dark green wind suit I was wearing with a white turtleneck underneath, and the huge (and I do mean HUGE) bow I had adorning my ponytail.
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
I honestly don’t think I ever truly believed in Santa. I don’t ever remember really thinking he would come, and I was never devastated by the truth.
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
David had to work night shift last Christmas Eve, so we didn’t get to do anything special. But my family had a tradition of opening our Christmas pajamas on Christmas Eve. This year I would like to have some sort of special tradition that we start together.
10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
Last year I got a bunch of ornaments from my students for Christmas, and this year I decided that I will only buy ornaments that are meaningful, rather than buying a bunch of ornaments just to fill my tree. So my tree is a little skimpy on ornaments this year, but I did add a beautiful silver glittery hummingbird ornament this year.
11. Snow. Love it or dread it?
12. Can you ice skate?
Not even a little!
13. Do you remember your favorite gift ever?
My Troll Baby!!! It was so cool! And you know… my engagement ring. That was pretty sweet (even though it was an early Christmas gift).
14. What’s the most important thing about the holidays for you?
Remembering the reason for the holidays, and not letting a moment slip by in frustration or anger at my loved ones!
15. What is your favorite holiday dessert?
I don’t really have one. But Key Lime Pie is always up there.
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas while I wrap presents!
17. What tops your tree?
Nothing. Tree toppers kind of freak me out.
18. Do you prefer giving or receiving?
19. Candy canes: Yuck or yum?
20. Favorite Christmas movie?
Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas. And The Santa Clause.
21. Saddest Christmas song?
All Christmas songs, though they make me happy, also give me a weird, bittersweet feeling. Does that make sense?
22. What is your favorite Christmas song?
“Away in a Manger” is way up there, along with “The First Noel” and “O Come All Ye Faithful.” And “Up on the Housetop.”